Conversation Optimization Courses Review-Week1-CRO-CopyWriting
After completing my Diploma in Information Technology, I learned Digital Marketing. Then, I learned digital marketing through courses, E-books, blogs and gained a great understanding and digital marketing skills. I have heard a lot of digital marketing specialists talk about conversation optimization, so I searched for conversion optimization. I found it is an exceptional skill every digital marketer should have and also started learning about conversation optimization. Then I look for a better option to strengthen my skills and knowledge about conversation optimization. I found CXL Institute through a blog. They post great content about conversation optimization also offer Conversation optimization Mini Degree. I applied conversation optimization Mini degree through a scholarship and I was accepted.
CXL Institute accepted my scholarship application. Then I am officially part of the CXL institute scholarship program for the next 12 weeks. I will create and share my learning key insights and thoughts about conversation optimization, in which I am enrolled.
First, what are the CXL institute and its scholarship program?
The CXL Institute (short for Conversion XL) is an educational entity founded by Peep Laja, elected by PPC hero as the most influential CRO expert in the world. Peep Laja and their team’s mission is to democratize the know-how of the best marketing techniques available on the market. CXL Institute brings the top 1% of marketers in the world to pass on their knowledge and Institute’s instructors are leading practitioners in their field. CXL Institute created a scholarship program for those who can not afford to pay. They provide 5 Mini Degrees, but accepted scholars can access only one mini degree. Their Mini degrees are.
- Content Marketing — 24 Hours
- Conversation Optimization — 72 Hours
- Digital Analytics — 40 Hours
- Digital Psychology and Persuasion — 44 Hours
- Growth Marketing — 111 Hours
Each mini degree comprises a specific combination of courses. All taught by some of the best professionals within each area. Currently, there are 50+ courses available on their platform. Such as Google Analytics beginner and intermediate, Tag manager beginner and intermediate, product messaging, landing page optimization, and much more.
I was interested in the Conversion Optimization degree because I felt this is the right fit for me. The growth marketing mini degree is divided into 6 parts. Besides a final exam.
- Conversion research
- Optimization Strategies
- Conversion Optimization Program Management
- CXL Certificate Exam
Each part contains related courses and event videos. Totally 35 courses and 10 Event videos are included in the Conversion Optimization mini degree. My scholarship is only for 12 weeks, so I need to finish these given 12 weeks. Every week I am going to share with you important insights and the thoughts I learned through this mini degree.
In the 1st week, I started the first part, which is entitled Foundation. This part comprises 11 courses. I am going to share only three courses key insights.
Intro to CRO by Brian Massey
This course teaches me a conversation optimization foundation for success. In addition, skills, tools, and organizational need for conversation rate optimization. I have listed some of the most important insights below.
CRO increases the performance of a website by measuring how visitors behave. CRO will help build a sustainable business.
When increasing the conversation rate, we need to come up with valid and testable ideas or hypotheses to test. Also, keep in mind time and traffic are limited.
When we come up with ideas, we need to write them down and rank them all based on ranking criteria. There are 3 criteria. Impact, confidence or proof, effort to test.
When you design an A/B test, you must follow these rules to get a significant result.
- The sample size is calculated to be significant.
- Data is collected over a time
- Data is collected on recent traffic
- It is quantitative
- Prospect and customers are being tested
Some of the bad ideas when designing A/B tests are blindly copying other website methods, getting test ideas on random websites, ignoring statistics, and more
To become the best optimizer, we need to develop 3 important skills. What are they? First, ask good questions second, increase the sample size third, increase the sample quality. This course is only about foundational ideas and this course does not contain questions. Also, I felt this course gave me much information about conversation optimization.
Best Practices by Peep Laja
This course is about the best practices we need to follow when designing a website or landing page or anything related to marketing. There are no absolute truths these best practices work, but it would be a good starting point. Some of the best practices are listed below.
Typography & Content
- Don’t go smaller than 16px for body copy
- Use traditional fonts (Arial, Georgia, Tahoma, etc) for body copy
- The optimal line length is 50–75 characters
- Write sub-headlines that summarize the paragraphs below
Website Speed Optimization
- Use Google Tag Manager to measure 100% of site speed data
- Server response time should be under 200ms
- No single page element should take over a second to load
- Minimize the number of round trips (browser — server — browser) that need to be made
- Imply important using size and color
- When determining how facets of your site should rank in the visual hierarchy, reflect on your business aim.
- Apply visual hierarchy to every page
- Importance of Visual Design
- Use large, inspiring, high-quality photos
- Go for simple and prototypical designs
- Always offer a guest checkout
- Avoid the word “register”. ‘New customer” or similar terminology performs better
- Offer account creation after checking out on the Thank You page
- Reward account creation e.g. “Save your details and get 20% off your next order” Offer the
- option to register using social login
Buttons and Call to Actions
- The CTA should be highly noticeable at the top of the page’s visual hierarchy
- Leave plenty of “white-space” around your CTAs
- The CTA button color should contrast the colors on the rest of the page
- FAQs on Websites
- Avoid FAQs that are sales copy in disguise
- FAQs are more effective in a context than on a separate page
This course has more than what I am listed here. This course helps improve knowledge about conversation optimization and I highly recommend this course who wants to step up their conversation optimization skills. Thanks to the CXL team for giving me a great opportunity. Thank you for reading. I will meet you at my next post.